Facts about wrongful termination in Washington

On Behalf of | Mar 22, 2022 | Employment Law |

Have you been wrongfully terminated, and are wondering what your next steps should be? If you are unsure of your rights, the process of filing a wrongful termination claim can be daunting. However, with the right information and guidance, you can seek the justice you deserve.

What is wrongful termination?

Wrongful termination occurs when an employer fires an employee for an illegal reason, such as discrimination or retaliation. For instance, if you’re fired because of your race, gender, religion, or disability, this would be considered wrongful termination. Other grounds for wrongful termination claims include firing an employee in retaliation for reporting harassment or filing a workers’ compensation claim.

What are your legal remedies?

If you have been wrongfully terminated, you may receive certain legal remedies, one of which is reinstatement. This means that you would be able to get your job back. In some cases, you may also receive punitive damages, which are typically designed to punish the employer for their illegal actions.

Another legal remedy is “front pay.” This is essentially a form of lost wages and can get awarded if reinstatement is not possible or practical. For instance, if the company you worked for has gone out of business, you would not be able to get your job back. In this case, front pay may get awarded in order to help you get back on your feet.

Emotional distress damages may also be awarded in cases of wrongful termination per the provisions of employment law. This type of damage is usually intended to compensate the victim for any emotional pain and suffering that was caused by the illegal firing.

If you have been wrongfully terminated, the first step is to report the incident to the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC). This is the federal agency that is responsible for enforcing employment discrimination laws.

Just remember that you may need to gather evidence to support your claim of wrongful termination. This may include performance reviews, witness statements, and email or text messages. Once you have gathered this evidence, you will need to file a complaint with the EEOC.